Discussion Notes on Islamic Education with Dr. Mod Nor Manuty
14 December 2010
Attendence : Hj Idris , Dr Mohd Nur Manuty , Hj Azmi
- Hj Idris highlighted the need for an effective Islamic education. The present realities that is reflected in the society today shows that to some extend the Islamic education is not delivered in an effective manner. We should put our energy into this work of looking into the Islamic education as a vital part of re-building the ummah.
The many issue and problems faced by the society shows that the present Islamic education is not effective
From the realities that we are witnessing , the society at large especially amongst the Muslims are not showing true examples of the Islamic teachings I their daily practices . If we look critically , from individual lifestyles to the way we conduct our lives in the society , the Islamic education which a child go through for 11 years in the school system has not given much bearing .
We should work towards improving our Islamic education in the national schools if we are serious in trying to resolve the many issues within the ummah.
- Dr. Mohd Nur agreed , there is little effort to look into the Islamic education in a focused manner especially at the level of the national education system. There are many factors that we should look into. We need to conduct a research that will give us a clearer assessment on how effective or ineffective is the system currently.
There are few scholars who have written and did research studies on Islamic education in Malaysia. We should approach them and come up with a proposal to bring to the attention of the government.
We should try also to do a survey that will gather reflection from various group on how they view Islamic education : parents , teachers , students , ….ect.
- Dr Mohd Nur agrees to see the possibility of conducting a survey by getting PKPIM students to help.
- Dr Mohd Nur will find out with a few more intellectuals to get them to help in coming up with a memorandum for CAP to be extended to the government .
- Dr Mohd Nur will try to get an assistant to assist him in conducting and administering meetings and compile materials for this project.
Second meeting to have within 3 months